[opendtv] Re: Did anyone test this new Radio Shack ATSC STB?

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:47:37 -0700 (PDT)

This has been around for quite some time.  The Viewsonic spec sheet brochure in
my STB folder has 2004 copyright date and it shows DVI vs HDMI interface.  It
does ATSC and NTSC but not QAM for cable.
The User Guide can be downloaded from Viewsonic website:
http://www.viewsonic.com/support/userguides.cfm?event=getUserGuides&serialNumber=hd12&go=GO

If you check www.pricegrabber.com you'll see that pretty much everybody and
their brother is selling the DH12....best price was still overpriced at $328
plus shipping.
You should also be able to find user comments at amazon.com, circuitcity,
et.al. and maybe also avsforum..

holl_ands

"Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: After what appears
to be a market that settled on the Samsung SIR-T451
and Digital Stream HD3150 Plus as basic OTA HDTV STBs, as well as one LG
(4th gen) and one Sony ATSC PVR, I was surprised to find this, all of a
sudden, at Radio Shack:

Viewsonic NextVision HD12 HDTV Tuner/Receiver

(The URL is ridiculous, so I won't even try, and tinyurl doesn't seem to
work for me.)

This must be why the Accurian was withdrawn. But at $399.95, hardly a
bargain these days. The Digital Stream, still at $229, works well,
compared with any previous STB competition. But if this new HD12 is a
5th gen equivalent, it might still be interesting.

(By comparison, the still-listed LG LST3410A PVR at Circuit City costs
$419.99. I'm not convinced this PVR is still on their shelves. Haven't
seen one since last Christmas. The plain STBs are readily available at
Circuit City, though.)

This RS STB offers:

ATSC and NTSC (unlike the previous Accurian which was just ATSC)

DVI/HDCP, RGB, composite, and Y/C outputs, but no component outputs
listed(??)

34 W operating, compared with 18-20 Watts for the other newer STBs.

Only supports English.

No manual available online, unfortunately. No good list of features or
bragging about great performance. EPG? Timer? Cable frequencies? All
best kept secrets. Also, no customer reactions listed yet. "Be the first
to review this product," it says.

Anyone heard of this STB? I haven't seen this advertized anywhere. How
does anyone expect to sell something if people aren't informed?