[opendtv] DVB Standard

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:58:57 -0700

I really don't know much about the DVB standard, other than it is an open
standard that appears to be more adopted by the U.K. and Europe than North
America.

Is there anything that DVB-T and ATSC have in common (other than purpose
and MPEG-2 transport scheme)?

Is ATSC an open standard like DVB-T?

I know that DVB-T is an open standard and one day I will read through it,
but what are the important points to know about?

Anything difference between DVB-S and DBS?  Isn't much of the digital
traffic on satellites in the DVB-S format?  And if I'm not mistaken,
DirectTV and Dish Network are moving to DVB-S2 to take advantage of H.264?

Are cable providers using DVB-C or OpenCable, or something else?  Will
there be a DVB-C2 (like the -S2)?

What does DVB-T, DVB-H, DVB-C, and DVB-S have in common (other than MPEG-2
T.S. but certainly not modulation schemes)?

How are they being used here in North America, if they are being used?

Dan Grimes