[opendtv] DTV interference disaster event

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:33:24 -0500

Yesterday morning we had the ultimate mega-DTV disaster event.

Only two of our local DTV stations (the closest two, 11 and 16
miles) were receivable on DTV at all! None of the others were.

A quick look at the spectrum analyzer showed why: There was,
clearly visible, both an analog and a digital signal on every
UHF channel 14-36 and 38-52, except the two nearby digital ones!
(My antennas don't work well above 52). This is unprecedented,
and represents a mega-tropo event. In some cases three
analog stations were visible on one channel! The two close-in stations
had a digital signal clearly visible underneath the very strong analog,
on the spectrum analyzer.

There was only one semi-local DTV station where aiming
a narrow band Yagi right at it alleviated the interference
to get even a sporadic signal.

The event lasted a couple of hours, then abruptly stopped.

Doug McDonald