[opendtv] Crunch time

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 17:52:04 -0400

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-90A1.pdf

has some interesting examples of last-minute DTV transition problems.

One category is the antenna situation, DTV vs analog. Seems that the
bulk of stations, maybe all, consider that analog has to be optimized
rather than digital. What I don't understand is at what point the
opposite will become true. My feeling is probably never. That until 18
Feb 2009, the analog will retain its priority.

A more logical approach would have been, for the past 8 years, an ever
increasing tempo of public service announcements to the effect that the
viewers should start buying DTT STBs, or integrated sets, and a gradual
de-emphasis of the analog signal in favor of the digital.

Or possibly, strapped-for-cash stations could petition the FCC for a
flash cut before the deadline, and then do a massive ad campaign to
inform their viewership what to do. That could have avoided building a
redundant digital facility for the transition.

It's crunch time, but it's still really hard to tell from watching OTA
TV. If I were a typical TV viewer unconcerned with these nitty gritty
matters, I could easily make myself believe that "they" have probably
decided that analog TV will remain. So, not to worry. Or maybe, "they"
have figured out a way to make the digital signal compatible with analog
TVs. Why else would the stations seem so thoroughly unconcerned to the
viewing public??