[opendtv] Cracking the Sitcom Code

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient:;
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 03:33:01 -0500

Cracking the Sitcom Code

After signing up to write a script for Croatian television, I learned
that virtually all TV comedies, from Seinfeld to South Park, follow a
simple formula.

NOAH CHARNEY
DEC 28 2014

As happens to so many of us, I was asked to write a sitcom for
Croatian television. I'm an American ex-pat living in Slovenia, and I
know next to nothing about Croatia, besides the fact that it's
Slovenia's southern neighbor, a fellow ex-Yugoslav republic, and that
the language resembles Slovene except with a lot more "js" in it. I
am a writer of books and articles, and I used to write a lot of
plays, but I've never written for television. So I immediately said,
"Sure, of course I can do that," before rushing off to Google "How to
write a sitcom."

In addition to much Googling, I spent a good deal of time watching
sitcoms. I was after tips on how they are constructed, and watched
actively, looking to crack open their laugh-tracked shiny exterior to
get at the goopy mechanism within, to see how they functioned.  What
I found out surprised me, and changed the way that I watch television.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/12/cracking-the-sitcom-code/384068/