[opendtv] Commercial broadcast TV breaks viewing record

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 16:03:29 -0400

Heh. Either something is dramatically different in the UK gene pool, or
the drama queens need to revise their reasoning behind the supposed
collapse of broadcast TV.

Bert

--------------------------------------
http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=3480

Commercial broadcast TV breaks viewing record

Links:

www.thinkbox.tv
www.barb.co.uk

Commercial broadcast TV viewing had a record first six months of 2009,
according to new figures from the Broadcasters' Audience Research Board
(BARB).

The average UK viewer is watching 16.7 hours of commercial broadcast TV
a week according to BARB, up 9.9 minutes a week on the record set in the
same period last year. This is up 42 minutes a week on the
representative five year average for January to June.

The figures, published in Thinkbox's Half Year Review, show that
commercial TV accounted for 63.7% of total broadcast TV viewing in the
first six months of the year, a growth of 3.2% in the last five years.
Total broadcast TV viewing in the first half of the year was 26.2 hours
a week, in line with the same period last year but up 18 minutes a week
on the five year average for the period.

BARB figures only count domestic broadcast TV viewing and do not include
viewing via online TV services or out of home.

Tess Alps, Thinkbox's Chief Executive said: "In January we said the
record broadcast viewing levels set last year couldn't continue,
but-astonishingly-they have.

"New TV technologies-like digital television recorders and high
definition TVs-and the variety of great content available are helping to
make TV an even better experience. They are magnetising our viewing to
the attractive screens in our living rooms. And online TV services are
proving the perfect complement to broadcast TV as they lead viewers back
into the broadcast stream."

DTG Staff 05.08.2009