[opendtv] Comcast Adds 6K Video Customers in Q4 | Multichannel

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 09:30:15 -0500

http://www.multichannel.com/news/cable-operators/comcast-adds-6k-video-customers-q4/388286

Comcast Adds 6K Video Customers in Q4

Comcast added about 6,000 basic video subscribers in the fourth quarter, and
cable operating cash flow increased about 6.3% to $4.7 billion, as the company
said it will raise its annual dividend 11% to $1 per share and increase its
share repurchase authorization to $10 billion.

The basic video additions were less than the 46,000 additions in the same
period last year, but helped push the operator to another improvement in full
year video customer losses – the company shed about 194,000 basic video
customers in 2014, better than the 267,000 it lost in the prior year.

The video improvements also heled drive cable revenue up 6.1% to $11.3 billion
and  operating cash flow up 6.3% to $4.7 billion.

At NBC Universal, revenue rose 2.3% in the quarter to $6.6 billion, while OCF
increased 6.6% to $1.4 billion. Overall, consolidated revenue rose 4.8% in the
period to $17.7 billion and OCF increased 4.1% to $5.9 billion.

In addition, Comcast said it will raise its dividend 10% to $1 per share and
has increased its share repurchase authorization to $10- billion, adding that
it plans to repurchase about $4.25 billion of its stock this year.

"2014 was a great year financially, operationally, and strategically for
Comcast NBCUniversal. We continued to execute incredibly well as we accelerated
our innovation, launched new products, and brought amazing films, shows and
theme park attractions to consumers, Comcast chairman and CEO Brian Roberts
said in a statement. "Cable's results, driven by High-Speed Internet and
Business Services, demonstrate our focus on driving profitable growth and
technology innovations, including our transformative X1 platform. This is
bearing fruit in our operating performance, as we added 358,000 customer
relationships, while video subscriber trends were the best in 7 years and in
broadband we added over 1 million subscribers for the ninth year in a row.
NBCUniversal also had a standout performance in 2014, with 18% growth in
operating cash flow, driven by a successful Sochi Olympics, continued momentum
at NBC Broadcast, the successful opening of The Wizarding World of Harry
Potter™ - Diagon Alley™ in Orlando, and strong box office performance from
Universal Pictures. We enter 2015 with great momentum and significant
opportunities ahead, and we look forward to receiving regulatory approval for
the Time Warner Cable merger. Underscoring our confidence in the continued
success of our company, we are increasing our dividend to $1.00 per share on an
annualized basis, marking the seventh consecutive annual increase, and plan to
repurchase at least $4.25 billion of our stock this year."