[opendtv] Chip makers place their bets on mobile-TV silicon

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:12:31 +0200

(Damned e-mail, try again...)=20

Hi,=20

Found this:=20
http://www.automotivedesignline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=3D170700011

Chip makers place their bets on mobile-TV silicon=20
By Junko Yoshida=20
Courtesy of EE Times=20
(08/29/2005 9:00 AM EDT)=20
Madison, Wis. ? As the consumer market's interest in digital TV expands=20
from=20
large-screen sets in the living room to portable TVs in notebook=20
computers, cars=20
and mobile phones, silicon development activities are heating up.=20
At a time when the emerging DVB-H standard is luring chip vendors into the =

fledgling cell phone TV market, Zarlink Semiconductor (Ottawa) is going=20
retro.=20
The company has introduced what it calls "the industry's smallest package=20
and=20
lowest-power-consumption" portable digital TV chip compliant with the=20
established DVB-T standard.=20

Etc.  Copyright rules forbid me to copy the entire article !=20
So please follow the link and download it for yourself. (JS)=20

I like this definition:=20
"According to his definition, portable reception means that a device=20
working at site=20
A will resume receiving the DTV signal when moved to site B. Mobile=20
reception, by=20
contrast, implies continued reception at speed ? for example, in a car=20
moving up to=20
200 km/hour ? with the appropriate diversity receivers. "=20

Greetings,=20
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |