[opendtv] Channel Master Digital STB question

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 17:52:55 -0400

Hello list,

I'm currently using a Channel Master model CM-7000 STB
for LO-VHF digital reception because it seems to be the one least susceptible to signal loss out of 6 different Mfgr's boxes.

The output of this STB feeds the TiVo so I can watch at my convenience.

There is one nagging problem:
About twice a month when I start the TiVo expecting the morning news, I'm met with a black screen with one of two different messages:
1. Encrypted program
2. No program

Apparently there is a loss of signal which confuses the box and it hangs
until I intervene with the remote control.
If I turn the box off with the remote, wait 10 seconds and then turn it back on, the program from the correct 'channel' comes back in and all is well for several weeks or so until the same problem occurs again, exactly the same way with the same results.

I've tried limiting what the box can tune to by manually setting the channel memory, but it still hangs. Before I did this it would move to another channel.

Any one have another idea about how to solve this issue?

I've even considered building a rube-goldberg time operated electro-mechanical contrivance that will push the power button on the remote, then after 15 seconds, push it again to restart the box.

Surely there is a way to circumvent the auto shutdown mechanism in the box so it acts more like an industrial or commercial receiver that only changes state with human intervention instead of trying to out think the consumer.

Thanks,

Cliff