[opendtv] Centris Study

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:15:15 -0400

Doug McDonald wrote:

> I should add that antennaweb.org ... the real thing ... has
> our most powerful station as needing a "purple" antenna ...
> it really needs a paper clip.

That's certainly been my experience with the new, improved Antennaweb.
The original one seemed far more accurate.

Although others, like Dale, think it's still too optimistic. The only
conclusion I can draw is that the Longley-Rice model is also not
perfect.

Just for grins, using Antennaweb, I moved my location around our
neighborhood. Easy to do, now that they give you a street map to check
first.

It showed fairly substantial changes, with stations being added in and
others dropping off, just by moving up and down our street, or from one
street to the neighboring one. I know where the hills are, so I couldn't
reconcile the differences with reality. But then again, I didn't take a
van around to do a proper comparison either.

And most importantly, indoor reception from the second floor is
successful for stations that even a purple Antennaweb antenna can't
receive.

Bottom line: any study that tries to determine DTV receivablility with
Antennaweb is very suspect, in my mind.