[opendtv] Re: Catch-up TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 03:23:58 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

As for the iPlayer, you are correct, it used Windows Media DRM
initially. That was just as much a proprietary standard as the
one that Apple developed. And the article went on to say that
early on, iPlayer only worked with Windows:

Yup.

And guess what Bert? The Adobe Flash player DRM was ALSO
proprietary!

And any connected box maker allowing use of Flash ALSO gives their customers
the benefit of compatibility with Flash DRM.

So cut the crap about Apple.

Why? Do you think that Apple was violently opposed to this state of affairs? Or
do you think that Apple preferred for its customers to use iTunes instead? What
did I say, years ago, about Apple's decision to not support Flash, when Flash
was still the de-facto standard then (and largely still is today)? And yes,
Android followed suit, but did I ever say Android was right in doing so? In
time, this won't matter anymore, for sure, but it matters still.

You're welcome. I've got no problem with arguing about history.
We're both getting to the age where our memory ain't what it
used to be. But let's try to support our arguments with facts.

So, to get back to what has been so hard to express, the congloms have been
serving up full length episodes online, ad supported, for eons before any
little streaming boxes saw the light of day. For some reason, the fact that the
TV networks were happy to do this seems to get lost, when the conversation
turns to what kind of collusion is now required, for the limited little
streaming boxes to work. People seem to forget that no collusion is required.
Never was. Now were the TV networks colluding with one another, in offering
these full length episodes on demand. So let's not insist on using collusion,
shall we, or for sure certain special interests will take advantage again.

Now that I'm using Win10, I can play this "apps" game and compare it to what my
one "browser app" allows. CBS is pretty good. They only impose an 8-day delay
on the "app" for boxes born out of collusion, and only hours delay for regular
browsers. On the other hand, ABC's "app" requires you to enter your MVPD,
before they show anything at all! It was fun to read the comments at the
Windows app store, about this ABC app. Remember, this is **all** ad-supported
material, available FOTI on web browsers.

By the time the OTT services started in 2006, the broadcast
network ratings were REALLY tanking.

Funny how competition helps consumers. The congloms have every incentive to try
to get people hooked on their series, especially now that people have been
shaving and cutting the cord. If the TV networks were reluctant to use this
initially, but were doing so anyway, then now they should be less reluctant.
And they are introducing many more ads than before, let's not forget. And those
online ads are better retained, aka more effective. Seems to me that more
effective ads should command more $ per unit time. The online ads should now be
starting to make the networks some decent income. The assumption that the
linear stream is the most valuable is just as obsolescent as the assumption
that schedules of network linear streams have a big impact. Legacy concepts.

The big change, which helped the content oligopoly get over its
fear of OTT services, has been the huge new revenues they have
received for licensing these shows to Netflix, Amazon, et al.

Whatever works, Craig. OTT is the future, and they have figured this out. I
mean, the CEOs.

Unfortunately for you, the trend is towards paying for
everything. You are not getting more free access to more
popular content, you are getting LESS.

First of all, I'm most definitely getting more than I was in the OTA PVR days,
let alone the pre-VCR/PVR days.

Secondly, this "trend" you claim exists can only survive if consumers remain
clueless. The "trend" gets reversed when consumers become educated in the
options available to them. It's really that simple, and cord cutting and cord
shaving prove the point.

The more the trade scribes pretend that those limited little boxes are the only
way to get TV content online, that the handful of pay TV Internet sites are all
there is, the more these trade scribes are playing into the hands of the
special interests.

Unfortunately for you, Craig, you have stated that Internet TV spells "doom and
gloom." I'd like you to explain that idea. To me, it's all good.