[opendtv] Re: Canvas reports to OFT as Arqiva join up

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:39:05 -0400

Arqiva is in the transmission business. That includes fiber (we use their transatlantic fiber on our Met Opera cinema transmissions).

TTFN,
Mark

On 3/23/2010 11:23 AM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Project Canvas is the program that would make FOTA TV channels available also
FOTI (I for Internet).

Two comments:

1. Aside from Arqiva's participation perhaps, this seems way too logical and
straightforward to ever happen in the US. Over here, everyone would be looking for that
nth "revenue stream" to be created with the new venture, where n is at least
one more than what they could gouge yesterday.

2. Arqiva's participation seems counterintuitive, as they would be
participating in a program that would ultimately make their line of business
superfluous. Unless they branch out into wireless broadband.

Bert

--------------------------------------
http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=3700

Canvas reports to OFT as Arqiva join up

The companies involved in Project Canvas have submitted an analysis to the
Office of Fair Trading setting out why the proposed Canvas joint venture does
not constitute a qualifying merger under the Enterprise Act 2002, according to
a statement on the Project Canvas website. The Project Canvas partners said
they now expect the OFT to initiate a consultation process.

The partners also announced Arqiva had joined the Canvas project. Alongside
BBC, BT, Channel 4, Five, ITV and Talk Talk Group, Arqiva will take an equal
stake, and provide equal funding, to a new venture said the statement. The
BBC's involvement remains subject to BBC Trust approval.

Project Director, Richard Halton, said: "The Canvas partners are clear that the
joint venture does not qualify as a merger, and we welcome the opportunity to
clarify this position formally.

"We are delighted that Arqiva have committed themselves to the project. They have a
history of positive and progressive support for Freeview, and Project Canvas will benefit
hugely from both their experience and engineering expertise."

Rob Hamlin, Strategic Development Director for Arqiva Terrestrial Broadcast, said:
"We are delighted to become a partner in Project Canvas. Arqiva has a long
history in supporting free-to-air broadcasting as a shareholder in Freeview and
provider of digital terrestrial television networks, so it is a natural step for us
to take a partner role in Canvas.

"The approach of Canvas as an open platform based on common technical standards is
one we fully support and are looking to encourage through standards bodies, particularly
via the UK's Digital Television Group."

DTG Staff 22.03.2010