[opendtv] Re: Broadcasters vs. MVPDs: Economic effects of digital transition on television program supply

  • From: Kilroy Hughes <Kilroy.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 01:18:44 +0000

Cable operators have a new "marketing tool" just approved by the FCC in the
case of Cablevision ...
They can kill the clear analog and digital channels currently delivered to
"cable ready" TVs and HDTVs, PVRs, Media PCs, etc. that are currently watching
Basic tier local broadcast retransmission.  I can understand wanting to use all
those analog channels for DOCSIS 3, VOIP, VOD, etc. that generates more revenue
than a duplicate TV signal, but the justification for scrambling the
retransmitted Basic digital broadcast signals is a bit harder to justify as a
consumer benefit or technical necessity.

The FCC decision allows them to scramble the Basic tier clear QAM signals so
TVs and other devices currently getting their local digital stations over cable
will go dark.  I've heard cable operators will offer each household up to two
addressable settop boxes for free so consumers can have Basic tier (or buy
expanded Basic, etc.) enable or disabled at any time from the headend (no pole
climbing and filters necessary to limited from expanded Basic to "lifeline"
Basic).  Tuning inside a TV or PVR won't work anymore, but maybe you can teach
your Tivo to control the new STB using an IR repeater.  No more ability for a
PVR to record a couple programs while watching another.

I guess it was just too easy to connect a cable to an ATSC TV and tune in those
local broadcast channels, and too hard for cable operators to take them away
without a truck roll.  Now that we'll be forced to use an operator provided
STB, I expect we'll have to jump through hoops and pay extra to get only Basic
channels.

Actually, I finally found an ATSC antenna that sorts through the multipath
coming from different directions where I live (a flat active array), so I do
fine with ATSC, discs, and IP packets; I already cut the cable.

Kilroy Hughes