[opendtv] Re: Book: When Labels Fought the Digital, and the Digital Won

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 09:24:42 -0500

At 12:24 PM -0800 1/7/09, John Willkie wrote:
This is great news, and I heard it on the radio yesterday.  Jobs got what he
said he wanted -- an end to DRM -- and what he didn't -- a recognition that
hits (I think it will actually turn out to be 'new releases') are more
valuable than catalog.

Price reductions are always good.  I hope/trust Rhapsody will follow suit.

Ironically, it is the most popular catalog songs that the labels want to charge $1.29 for.

The iTunes store has a good way to represent this graphically - the popularity meter. The labels could just base their pricing on this meter, which is essentially an indicator of sales for each track.

Unfortunately, most of the stuff i buy from iTunes is popular old catalog tracks.