[opendtv] Re: 'Bleep!' focuses on DVD censorship

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:51:10 +0200

Hi,

Cliff wrote:
> The French apparently would take offense at 'Bleep'...

I think that the situation in France was a little bit more complicated
than this. Probably French law requires that everything that is of
interest to buyers is explained on the package in plain French language.
The French generally don't seem to understand international languages,
and they even refuse to import common words like "computer" or "aids"
(ordinateur and sida, respectively).
So if "CP" is not a valid abbreviation in the French language, then it
is a violation of French law, and you should get your money back.

Perry wrote:
> Of course one should be able to make a private copy.
> (...)

By the way, Perry, my SACD/DVD player seems to have no trouble skipping
the (many) leaders on "Finding Nemo", so maybe we have different
settings for "playback control" ? And you should not let your kids
handle the DVDs, that is a reserved privilege for Daddy...  ;-)

> A small step aside and I come to copy protected audio CDs.

The annoying thing with copy protection on audio CDs (not to be mistaken
for "Compact Disc Digital Audio", which is a Red Book Standard) is that
a high error rate can be part of the protection scheme. Unfortunately,
the life time of a CD, as it gets scratched and the aluminium coating
oxidizes, is determined by the error correction giving up on it. Thus a
protected CD could be considered "pre-aged", it will not live very long.
If it won't play in your car, that means that soon it will stop playing
in your home deck too. I refuse to buy CDs without the "CD-DA" logo.
I value the Red Book Standard set by Sony and Philips, because it was
meant to guarantee customer satisfaction. Amen.

Greetings,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |