[opendtv] Re: Apple to Provide Live Video Streaming of September 1 Event

  • From: "Hughes Gary-DJWV76" <ghughes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 12:05:46 -0400

A couple of points..

- it has been submitted to IETF as a draft, not an RFC. May seem like a
nit, but in the standards world this is important. A number of SDOs are
scrambling to figure out their role in this brave new world (MPEG, DVB,
OIPF, 3GPP, ...)

- it is not streaming in the push, isochronous sense. It is a series of
short file downloads initiated by the client (pull model) and relies on
the client to pace the transfers and reassemble a stream from the
fragments. Again this may seem like a nit, but if you build servers it
is the difference between do I build/buy a semi-trailer or a couple of
dozen Hyundai sedans.

- use of RTP/RTCP would require synchronizing multiple elementary
streams and requires the active participation of the origin server. More
importantly it requires the public CDNs to build an overlay network
specific to the protocols in use. Using short HTTP GETs fits in nicely
with the existing caching HTTP based CDNs (this applies to MS
Smoothstream and Adobe Dynamic Streaming as well)

Even so, watching it from home (via Comcast internet) was not a banner
experience. Video quality was so-so, ok for news, not up to
entertainment standards. It kept dropping back to a 'B roll' feed of an
auditorium, unannounced, and I'd have to restart the session to get back
to Steve on stage. Presumably their new server farm was overloaded.

gary

Gary Hughes
Video Architect
Distinguished Member, Technical Staff