[opendtv] Re: Apple Readies Next-Gen MPEG-4 Part 10

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:31:10 -0700

What they didn't go with the (Windows Media) VC-9 codec?  I wonder if it had
anything to do with MS's cross-licensing requirement for some licensees?  If
I'm not mistaken, the licensing fees for VC-9 on non-Windows platforms are
cheaper than AVC/H.264.  Also funny to me is that the article calls the
selected coded H.264/AVC, which appears to reverse the normal order.

Seems to me that any real-world product will need, in the future, to support
both AVC/H.264 AND VC-9 AND MPEG-2 AND MPEG-1.