[opendtv] Re: Apple Is Looking to the Internet Fast Lane

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 23:15:20 +0000

Craig Birkmaier posted:

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/technology/apple-is-looking-to-the-internet-fast-lane.html/

I didn't find anything all that surprising in the article. Most especially, it
is hardly surprising that Apple is happy with paying ISPs for special
considerations, because Apple has always favored closed-in environments, walled
garden-like environments. Whereas both Netflix and Amazon are device and ISP
servicer agnostic, completely. Totally different mindsets.

The other point is that it's not a slam dunk that the FCC will stay this
course. In the couple of net neutrality blogs the FCC posted recently, there
was virtually 100 percent disagreement with Wheeler's approach.

Another point is, it's not clear to me what the complainers mean when they talk
about "government regulation" of the Internet. I can't tell if they're
complaining about the "fast lane" allowance, or if they're complaining about
Title II. Both are government regulation, so which are they railing against?

Yet other point is, it's pretty obvious that success of the Internet was very
largely due to the fact that government-regulated Title II telephone lines
existed in virtually every household. So it seems clear that SOME government
regulation played an important role.

And finally, some contradictory prose from Craig:

>> And, this problem of blackouts of online material would not happen,
>> most likely, if the ISP did not also host the walled garden MVPD
>> service.
>
> DUH!
>
>> I think Wheeler may be discovering that classifying ISP service under
>> Title II, regrettably perhaps, is the only viable solution.
>
> Free market competition usually deals with these issues as well.

Do you see the contradiction?

Free market competition has failed, in this case. That's why the online
blackouts happened.

1. Free market competition allowed broadband providers to be both the ISP
service and the MVPD service, which caused the problem in the first place.

2. If ISP service had been Title II, the content owners would EITHER have had
to make their content available to all ISPs on equal and fair terms, OR of
course, the content owners could have removed their content from the entire
Internet. Since the latter would have been unlikely, Title II might just have
prevented the blackouts on the Internet.