[opendtv] Re: Anyone Care to Help Optimize a Home 8mm to DVD Transfer Process?

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 20:56:54 -0400

If they haven't stupidly blended it you can probably match up the fields using my UnComb Avisynth filter and get progressive frames again at whatever current frame rate (downloads section www.trbarry.com). This simply matches fields such you that get the minimum weave factor for each frame.

If you get that far then you can figure out what to do next to drop extra frames and get the frame rate you really need.

- Tom

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I don't want to clutter up this board with discussion on my personal project, so email me at dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx if you care to help. I haven't found any websites or professionals that can help with what I am trying to do.

I'm looking for advice on transferring about 7200 feet of 8mm and Super8mm home movies my Grandpa shot over the decades and transfer it to DVD.

Here are some issues I'm dealing with:

I sent a 50' reel to a transfer place which got it to a DV based .AVI file. Although it was supposedly a frame by frame transfer, the video is interlaced at what seems to be mostly a 3:3 pulldown that is unlocked so sometimes it ends up 4:2:4 and then back to 3:3. Clearly getting 16 fps to 29.97 is not so easy. I haven't found anyone that can transfer to a progressive format. It would be nice to create a 480@16p file which could be processed and turned into 480@30p. Anyone know of any such services?

I don't think I can de-interlace the video because the fields are not consistent. I am sending the film to another transfer place that is using Rank Cintel telecines. I'll see if the pulldown is more consistent there. They actually offer uncompressed SMPTE 270 video, but at a premium I can't afford.

I am trying to de-interlace it because I am trying to use an anti-shake plug-in to smooth out the shaky camera work. Unfortunately, the interlacing is causing some weird artifacts. I am using the plug-in 2d3 Steadymove that came with Adobe Premiere Pro. I am going see what is available in Apple Final Cut Pro next.

Another possibility is to try to convert a scanner to be able to transfer frame by frame. That would be a lot of engineering and labor and I don't have the time right now. I need something quick to get it done so my aging Grandparents can enjoy it. While I could do it twice, once for quickness and again for quality, I would rather invest my time and money only once.

If you care to give input, email me at dan.grimes@xxxxxxxxx

Dan

--
Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx