[opendtv] Another Bureaucracy

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:00:07 -0400

http://www.radioink.com/headlineentry.asp?hid=135249&pt=inkheadlines

FCC Creates Homeland Security Bureau

In an effort to be more responsive during times of national crisis or natural disaster, the FCC has created a Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau.

FCC Chairman Kevin J. Martin commented on the new bureau, "The events on September 11th, 2001 and last year's Hurricane season underscored our dependence on our national telecommunications infrastructure. During times of emergency, it is critical that the needs of the public safety community are met.

"This Bureau will provide a single central hub for the development of policies and rules to promote reliable communications for public safety, national security, and disaster management. The Bureau will be tasked to expend all of its talent and resources to make sure that the Commission does its part to support reliable emergency communications and address the needs of first responders, law enforcement, and emergency response personnel.

"The new Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau will enhance the Commission's ability to continue ensuring public safety priorities are met and that consumers have access to reliable communications during emergencies and crises."