[opendtv] Re: Android overtakes iPhone in the US

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 08:24:08 -0400

I wonder how much of this is due to the antenna flap.

VIRTUALLY NONE. iPhone 4s remain on backorder for 2-3 weeks and Apple is working with Foxconn to increase capacity.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/08/02/foxconn.spends.100m.on.dedicated.iphone.factory/

And then there is the reality that Apple's antenna may actually be one of the best on the market:

However, once the company realized that Apple had actually created a real breakthrough with its latest antenna design, the joy was short-lived. That fact became even more clear during subsequent conversations with two other top-notch antenna designers. They told me that Apple's antenna is best-in-breed and predicted that other manufacturers will be forced to try to match it in the future.

I saw comments yesterday to the effect that "This is what happens when engineers are rushed to get a product to market," or words to that effect.

This is what happens when competitors and their fanboys get an opportunity to pile on to what is essentially a non issue.

The reason that Android moved ahead was the buzz about the new iPhone including the publication of information about lost prototypes. This caused sales to slow for the 3GS at the same time that the Droid was introduced on Verizon, using a sales technique that Apple has not needed to resort to - buy one get one free.

And it is important to note that Android has moved ahead in the U.S. only. On a global basis Apple is still ahead.

That being said, Android should capture larger market share than the iPhone. Apple loves to take the high end of the market where most of the profits can be realized. It is well worth noting that Apple is making more money on phones than Nokia and Samsung, which are now second and third in profits. I expect Android to become the new "Microsoft" of cell phones, with a bunch of vendors battling it out to realize slim profit margins.

This part makes me chuckle:

"However, iPhone users are more loyal"

Ain't that the truth.

Not just iPhone users. Take a look at the "Next desired Smartphone OS" chart in this version of the same story that Bert posted.

http://gigaom.com/2010/08/02/android-sales-overtake-iphone-in-the-u-s/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OmMalik+%28GigaOM%29