[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Dethroning King Gillette

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 07:51:28 -0500

At 8:41 AM -0800 1/29/05, John Willkie wrote:
>I have a few nits to pick with this message, but this one sticks out "So
>720p-24  requires half the bandwidth AND (because of the lower resolution)
>half of the processing power,"
>
>Seems to me that if 720p requires half the bandwidth of 1080i, then it
>permits using 1/4th (or so) the processing power, if not much less.

1280 x 720 @ 24P = 22,118,400 pixels per second

1920 x 1080 @ 30i = 62,208,000 pixels per second

1920 x 1080 @ 24P = 49,766,400 pixels per second.

You can do the math John. It is just slightly less than half of the
pixel clock needed for 1080@24P, or roughly 1/3 of that needed for
1080@30i.

The major issue is the image processing bandwidth needed to push 2
Mpixels to the screen. Apple is delivering a solution that can handle
greater than 1920 x 1080 @ 60P for the 30 inch Apple Cinema Display;
but this system requires a special dual channel video card using two
DVI connections to get the pixels to the screen. Looks like Apple is
comfortable with 720P resolution for the mini...

Makes good sense to me.