[opendtv] Amid new technologies, TV is at a turning point

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient:;
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 00:02:58 -0400

Amid new technologies, TV is at a turning point

Get ready to watch upheaval as new technologies, business models
reshape viewing

By Hiawatha Bray  | GLOBE STAFF
APRIL 28, 2014

Television was certainly worth watching last week, and not just the
latest episode of "Mad Men."

On Tuesday, the Supreme Court heard arguments in the case of Aereo, a
company that transmits broadcast TV over the Internet without paying
broadcasters for the privilege. If the high court rules that this is
legal, it could devastate traditional TV companies.

On Wednesday, the premium cable network Home Box Office struck a deal
with online retailer Amazon.com that means you won't need a cable TV
subscription to watch HBO programs on the Internet. And on Thursday
Netflix, the company that pioneered Internet movie streaming, said
it'll make its service available through cable TV networks.

Whether you watch TV via cable, Internet, or rabbit-ear antenna,
you'll see the same thing - a massive industry-wide upheaval, as new
technologies and business models reshape what we view, and how we
view it.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/04/27/video-streaming-turning-point/VA08aXIZhUAYwV4hBjgNNO/story.html