[opendtv] Re: All This TV: Too Much of a Good Thing? | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 00:07:29 +0000

I guess some in the industry get worried about "too much of a good thing," but
I think it's simply time for a paradigm shift.

Used to be, you got 3 TV channels that could only be viewed by appointment.
Easy to keep up with the shows you liked. But even back then, I doubt that too
many people obsessed about the fact that they could never hope to read all the
books in their public library, right? Do we obsess that more books are written
than we can hope to keep up with, let alone all the existing books we never
read? I don't think so.

The question should be, why would one expect TV to be different? This "problem"
has been with us ever since the printing press. Not being constrained by linear
delivery "channels" means that the limiting factor is now the capacity of the
multiple thousands of servers.