[opendtv] Re: AT&T backs Verizon, TMo hesitates on LTE

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:48:25 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The question I posed yesterday is what will broadcasters do with
> this spectrum to get people to start using the service again> And
> can they afford to build out an appropriate infrastructure.

There is little doubt in my mind that our ideas of "appropriate infrastructure"
are going to be drastically different.

For example, you also said yesterday that the cellular infrastructure used by
cellcos is "more efficient" than the infrastructure used by broadcasters. Not
so fast. For the kind of one-way flow broadcasters need to create, small cells
in a MFN (which cellcos use) are a bad idea. A cell infrastructure is very much
more expensive (hence "inefficient") than what the broadcasters use, FOR
BROADCASTING, and it requires no less spectrum to boot.

Of course, the cell infrastructure is much more efficient FOR TWO-WAY SERVICE.

Even the fastest and newest MIMO options that will be used for LTE and WCDMA
eventually, work best (a) with two-way devices individually negotiating with
the access point, and (b) in places where multipath exists and is strong.
Meaning, short range is best, and broadcast with MIMO is iffy. At long range,
your multipath is going to get weaker and weaker, and will be unreliable.
There's nothing efficient about requiring two-way negotiations and many towers
for a broadband BROADCAST service like OTA TV.

Sure, you can change TV to be a purely on-demand service. If that's the future
of OTA TV, then a cell infrastructure would be necessary, *and* you can
probably forget about the F of FOTA.

I just don't buy, and have never bought, this idea that the OTA TV
infrastructure is way wrong, as you keep advocating. Usually, when things have
evolved over time, they are much more tweaked than the naysayers like to
believe.