[opendtv] Re: ATSC Patent Suit Threaten Nets, Transition

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 22:56:04 -0700

Well, first one needs to ask "what is Lucent?"

After being spun off by AT&T, it crashed a few times, and parts were sold
and spun off.  Part went to France Telecom.  Part became Aastra, and part
became Avanda or some such (phone terminals.)

Harris bought a good chunk of Aastra (if not all of it) about a year ago.

One wonders if they knew that didn't include what would appear to be the
rights to use technology that is essential to (then) Aastra encoders, and
just when this IP was siphoned off.

I think that Harris 'might' have an angle with the Aastra purchase, assuming
the lack of the IP was not disclosed.  (I don't think that Harris bought the
entire enterprise; if they did, they own all disclosed and undisclosed
issues.)

I was wondering if the way AT&T/Lucent sold the IP to Rembrandt on a FRAND
basis, and Rembrandt isn't an ATSC member.

I don't think that what remains of Lucent can be sued by Harris, since they
own most or all of that part of Lucent, at least in respect to IP licensing.

Unfortunately, there's the possibility of collateral action at the ITC, but
that would only affect products made or assembled off-shore.

The foolishness here is getting the 8000-pound gorilla (Harris) on the case.
They're engaged, and they have an incentive (their customers want to sue
them) to invalidate the patent.

John Willkie

P.S.  I note that Qualcomm once thought they could be maximally arrogant in
IP issues.  Now that they've lost patents in court and lost the ability to
import the next generation of phone chips, they are hoping for a
"presidential veto" of the action.  I think the problem is internal to
Qualcomm.