[opendtv] A/74 is inadequate (was: Re: Performance Report: Zenith DTT900)

  • From: Konrad <konrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists.org!opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:59:51 +0000

Dale Kelly wrote:

> I suggest we consider the excellent published research by Charlie Rhodes
> on this subject together with the recent FCC testing of eight A/74 based
> receivers. Charlie and the FCC both conclude that A/74 is inadequate and
> the FCC test showed that, IIRC, seven of the eight receivers did not meet
> A/74 recommendations and all performed inadequately.

"A/74 based receivers" ?  So these were receivers that claimed to meet A/74
but actually did not?

> However I guess this boils down to how one defines "Bad".

I have a tuner with a demod chip that claims to pass A/74.  I have LOS to
transmitters less than 5 miles away.  Highly directional antennas in the
attic.  Plenty of signal strength.  Frequencies outside TV bands are
filtered to reduce IMD.  Lots of time spent experimenting with different
antennas, filters, attenuators, etc.  Analog stations are excellent, no snow,
no ghosts, no interference.

Given all this plus digital's delay taps and error correction, etc.
reception of digital should be perfect.  But multiple digital stations
are unreliable, sometimes unwatchable.  I think this qualifies as "bad".

We need something a LOT better than A/74.  Orders of magnitude better.
Is there anything in the works?