[opendtv] Re: 600 MHz auction repack

  • From: "John Shutt" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "shuttj" for DMARC)
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:09:15 -0400

In my market the number one station is going dark and will combine with another station to multicast.

What is says to me (and this will sound boringly familiar to Craig) is that broadcasters see more value in providing a signal. any kind of signal, in a market to trigger must carry than they do having an entire 19.4 Mbps pipe.

I know that encoders have gotten better over the years that I have been out of broadcasting, but a CBS affiliate and an ABC affiliate sharing a channel, how good can the HD for both signals be?

John

----- Original Message ----- Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 8:09 AM
Subject: [opendtv] Re: 600 MHz auction repack

Interesting!

Not many stations taking the buyout and going dark. Many stations taking the money to combine operation with other stations inn their market.

Looks like broadcasting is still viable from an economic perspective.

Makes one wonder what would have happened without retrans consent.