[opendtv] 4K TVs affordable already

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 19:58:56 -0500

Went to Best Buy last night to see the 4K TVs. They had some from Sony and
Samsung on display (Magnolia section of the store). If anyone thought that
these 4K TVs were some sort of niche product, think again.

Even though Sony is traditionally overpriced, they had a relatively big 55" 4K
TV available for $2999. Considering that it took HDTVs several years to become
that affordable, and especially so for such a large format, I thought this was
rather amazing. No doubt, they will be the new normal in no time.

Seems a bit premature perhaps, since HDMI 1.4 can't do 4K at 60p, and since
H.265 isn't deployed yet I don't think, but the images they were showing on
these 4K screens were amazing. I'd say up to the quality you'd expect from a
projected 35mm Kodachrome slide. Even standing up close to the screen, no
visible pixels and a very nice color gamut.

The salesman claimed that Netflix would start transmitting 4K this year.