[opendtv] 2025 Video Competition Report

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 11:56:21 -0500

So Bert and I have been arguing about trends affecting the distribution of
entertainment video, and in particular, the impact that the Internet is
having/will have on the way we consume and pay for content.

This poor horse has been ridden to death of late, and it appears that we are
far from agreement on what the future will look like.

Rather than continuing this circular debate, perhaps it would be more
informative and entertaining to pool our collective minds and develop a
snapshot of what the entertainment video marketplace will look like a decade
from now. The FCC provides a model for this via their (sometimes) annual Video
Competition Reports. The agency just released a request for input on the next
(16th) Video Competition Report. The request can be found here:

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-14-8A1.pdf

Obviously there are many aspects of our industry that are going to change over
the next decade. Thus this analysis can look at many areas, and may encourage
many of the members of this list to get out their crystal balls and speculate
about those aspects they have expertise with or simply find interesting.

To name a few:

- What will happen with video quality? More resolution? More dynamic range?
Improved color gamut? Better delivered image quality?

- What will happen with distribution?
  - Will FOTA survive and what will their infrastructure look like?
  - Will MVPDs survive or will Virtual MVPDs replace them?
  - Will content owners go direct to consumers cutting out the middlemen?
  - Will consumers be able to buy only the content they want, or bundles that
are
      tailored to their personal preferences?
  - Will we see more independent producers of content and more
self-distribution?
  - How many "screens" will people use to consume content, and what will they
look
      like (size, location, mobility)?

I could keep going, but I think you get the idea. Feel free to create a subject
and speculate. The more the merrier!