[opendtv] Re: 20040510 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "John Willkie" <jmwillkie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 13:56:36 -0700

If you are not a content provider and you do not own distribution, you are
simply an agent.   Or worse.

Their major task is to acquire outside financing, and to try to fight off
the (for broadcasters) superior Emmis proposal.   The history of VC-backed
operations working in broadcasting (including the financing of stations) is,
well, VERY BLEAK.  (With the possible exception of NBC, since GE can be
viewed as a venture capital firm.)