[openbeosstorage] Re: The New Device API (tm)

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:26:55 +0100 CET

"Ingo Weinhold" <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Enjoy  yourself! And try to not break to many bones! ;-)

Done! :-))

> > [... find=3D5Fdirectory]
> This depends on how the interface (an ioctl() probably) for getting
> the
> directory looks like, i.e. whether it returns an absolute or relative
> path...

I wanted to introduce a new fs hook for it, not just ioctl() - since
the file system API is not bound on the device API, we are free to add
as many calls as we might, ioctl() should only be used for some rare
cases - at least that's what I think.
Of course, every fs hook might cost one syscall, but that's not exactly
an expensive resource.
Anyway, I come to that soon (the proposed find directory hook) -
currently (without having thought much about it), I think it will just
return a fs relative path; the kernel can than build the full path by
adding the mount point to that.

Adios...
   Axel.