[openbeosstorage] Re: [Open-beos-cvs]CVS: current/src/tests/add-ons/kernel/disk_scanner DiskScannerTest.cpp,1.7,1.8

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:13:42 +0100 CET

Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, that is done. What I wonder is, whether this specifies the
> version
> of the API the module is written for or simply the version of the
> module.
> I, for any reason, thought, it meant the latter...
> Or should modules also export an `api=5Fversion' variable=3F I can't
> remember
> having read that they should.

The module string just specifies an API, it doesn't necessarily refer
to a version. As long as the API doesn't change, the module name won't
change, too.
Since kernel add-ons can export several APIs (under different names,
regardless of the internal version of the add-on), it can provide
backwards compatibility with other modules requiring that API.

Adios...
   Axel.