[openbeosstorage] Re: BMimeType

  • From: Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 12:56:42 -0700

> > > However we start, we should divide the work by functionality first. So
> > > what functionalities do we have:
> > > * basic MIME string stuff (constructor/destructor, Contains(),
> > >   SuperType()...)
> > > * database access (Install(), Delete(), GetAppHint(), GetIcon(),...)
> > > * monitoring
> > > * C functions (create_app_meta_mime(), get_device_icon(),
> > >   update_mime_info())
> >
> > And I would also include:
> >
> > * Sniffer functionality (GetSnifferRule(), SetSnifferRule(),
> > CheckSnifferRule(), GuessMimeType())
>
> Oh yes, right, the aren't documented, are they? I've never used any of
> these functions. Do you know how the sniffer rules are supposed to look
> like?

It took some digging, but I found that they're documented under the "Release
Notes" section of the Be Book. Release Notes -> The Storage Kit. Should be
quite helpful.

On an unrelated note, have you ever visited the Annotated Be Book at:

http://bang.dhs.org/be/bebook/

? At the end of each page, there is a place for readers to post comments,
many of which might be useful for us to take note of. For example, from the
BMimeType page:

When there is no preferred app, you're supposed to get a NULL char *. That
seems broken.The function does however return B_ENTRY_NOT_FOUND.
--Jonas Sundstrom on May 11, 2002

> > > I think, I would do the monitoring part, since I can reuse some things
> > > from BQuery for that. The C functions (save get_device_icon()) may be
> > > hard to test. I would take them nevertheless. And the MIME string
> > > functionality. Then the main part remains for you. ;-)
> > > We can bargain though. :-)
> >
> > That sounds good to me. :-) I'd be willing to take the sniffer
> > functionality
> > too, or to leave it to whoever finishes the rest of their tasks first.
> > Either
> > way is fine with me.
>
> Let's leave it vacant and let the early bird catch the worm. :-P
> Sounds like we have a plan. :-)

Good deal. Off we go... :-)

-Tyler