[openbeosnetteam] [Update] recent fixes, TODOs

  • From: Waldemar Kornewald <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Networking <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:06:12 +0200

Hi,
here is a little status report (if you did not read CVS):
I fixed the select() bug and sockaddr_in BONE incompatibility and now many apps finally work. A list of tested apps:
Net+: works
Vision (R5+BONE): works
BeShare (R5): worked, but only quick test
ping (ours): works

ping (Be's):
Does not work. Incompatible ICMP API? Not a real problem.

Mozilla & Firefox:
Does not work because connect() seems to return an error for non-blocking sockets. Don't know why.
The new R5 versions immediately exited on my machine.

ssh:
A downloaded version from BeBits did not work with R5, but with BONE it had no problems. After a recompile it worked with R5, too.

CVS:
Works at least for small transfers. Did not test if whole repository checkout works again.

ftp (R5, Be Inc.):
Does not work. Seems to hang in recv() sometimes. Cannot be killed because thread entered kernel.

TODOs: Fix the recv() bug that causes ftp to hang. Fix connect() for nonblocking sockets.

Make thread-safe or port FreeBSD's stack. ;)
I talked to the FreeBSD people and they say that IPv4 is thread-safe, but fine-grained locking is still to be implemented and IPsec and IPv6 are not thread-safe, yet. This will be done in the next few months.

When fixing bugs it might help to know that our structs might be bigger/smaller than the R5 or BONE structs. This was often the cause for buffer overflows in our code.

Bye,
Waldemar