[openbeosnetteam] Re: Now it seems this thing works! :)

  • From: "Bruno G. Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 13:20:32 EST (-0300)

> > User: I need help configuring my network.
> > Support: Ok, open a Terminal window and do ifconfig sis9000 .up
> > (rest
> > omitted for brevity).
> > User: I got an error.
> > Support: Then you have a different interface. What is the name of
> > the
> > driver used by your ethernet card.
> > User: ...
> >
> > You got the idea.
>
> And? Where is your point?

To the user that dos not know anything, giving the interface the name
of the driver used by his/her card won`t help at all.

> 1) which from your three networking cards should be eth0??

It is more comom for the user to have only one network card.

> 2) users don't use the Terminal unless they know what they are doing
> -
> they will have a nice and easy to use preferences program. And that's
> what the support would have to worry about

Whatever. I still think my point is valid.

> 3) we are an open source project, we don't even need to worry about
> support by phone ;-))

We should worry about usability.

-Bruno

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Earn cash in your spare time -- blackmail your friends