[openbeosnetteam] Re: Moving stuff to /current: (last?) corrected moves list)

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:49:04 CEST (+0200)

> I can see why you may want to keep both net API in separate library
> file like they're in R5, but I can't see what's a "C++" library.

Ok, you are right. If you see it this way, there are also no
C++ programs, since the compiled image only contains
machine code for the target processor.

> I mean, ELF image format and ELF loader don't care at all.
> Linker, only, do.
Sure

> What about /current/etc?
Way too top level, we also have some example config files later,
that may go to ~/config/settings/*

/current/etc is no good choice

perhaps
/current/config/os/etc with target /boot/beos/etc
/current/config/home/etc with target /boot/home/config/etc

generally, I don't like "etc" directories at all. But I can accept that
we will need to keep them.

> Or maybe under /current/src/etc, as, even if they are not *compile*,
I would want config files into the /src/ tree.

> Or, last but not least, a "etc" subdirectory wherever we need it.
> For example:
>
> /current/src/kits/net/libnet/etc/hosts
Oh no. Soon every driver will have it own config file subdirectory
if we start it this way.

> And the /current/src/kits/net/libnet/Jamfiles call a rule to install
> the
> etc/* content where it belong in the

> the "oh, yes, these files are needed by some code, but can't remember
> which
> and where!" factor, I guess.
Well, this is what I don't like about etc. It just has no logical sense to put
files there.

Instead of putting global config files in
/boot/beos/etc I would like to have global config files
in /boot/beos/config/settings/network (a directory that doesn't exist in BeOS)

and use specifc files in
/boot/home/config/settings/network

> Hopefully, all BONE modules files are prefixed by "bone_", so no
> confusion could be possible here,
When we make a test release, we should make an installer that
removes all R5/bone/dano network files (but zipping)
so they don't interfear but can be restored.

> So, corrected after your suggestions:
>
> a) /net_kit/docs/
>
>   * -> /current/dpcs/develop/net/*

current/docs/develop/net/* please, not dpcs

>   Config files -> /current/src/etc/net/ ?
Please not

>   route/* -> /current/src/add-ons/kernel/network/protocols/route/*
What's this? really route?

>   (Notice here that I suggest we rename "loop" into "loopback", which I
ok

> f) /net_kit/source/server/include/
>
>   arpa/* -> /current/headers/posix/arpa/*
>   net/* -> /current/headers/posix/net/*
>   netinet/* -> /current/headers/posix/netinet/*
>   sys/* -> /current/headers/posix/sys/*
Are you sure this are the correct subdirectories in posix? I cannot check this.

>   resolv.h -> /current/headers/posix/resolv.h
>   netdb.h -> /current/headers/posix/netdb.h

> So, what all do you think, now?
I think, without the spelling error in docs, and with the exception
of the config file location, which we can decide later, this is ok.

> Do we have a "Go!"?
don't know. I say yes, but what do the others say?

> Even a partial, tell me which one so that I could start the move.
skip the config files for now

Marcus