[openbeosnetteam] Re: Integration Q's

  • From: "David Reid" <dreid@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:56:47 -0000

> > Ah, that bit I understand then...  What about ioctl as other parts of
> > the
> > kernel support them don't they?
>
> Yes, but not R5 sockets.
> We'd need to have a device that maps all calls, e.g. /dev/socket -
> every time an application calls socket(), that fake device would create
> a new sockets, but it would have a real fd then.
> We'd need port communication between the device and the net_server,
> then.

Taking a leap here, is this something close to what you were referring?

- socket module creates/manages the /dev/[net/]socket device when dev_init
is called.
- when the userland app links against libsocket they basically get a routine
that opens /dev/[net]/socket and get a real fd from hte system which thinks
it's just a file
- because it's a file system entry presumably we can tell the system which
functions to call for read/write and ioctl?

Does that make sense? Is this something like what you were thinking Axel?
If it is is there any code to look at out there that does similar things?

david