[openbeosnetteam] Re: Dial-Up task (fwd)

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:12:31 GMT

[Forwarded here, has it may interest the whole team - I really hope it
will!!! ;-)]

Hi Philippe
Thanks you.

The API is written in C++ and based on add-on modules. The modules
settings
and general connection settings are stored in a driver_settings
structure
which is passed to each interface.

I want to reach the following milestones:

#1 Being able to connect and transfer data (30% done, very big task)

libkppp.a (60% done (maybe more), big task)
It contains the api and the C++ client ppp interface implementation.
As soon as we get dynamic libs for drivers/modules it will be changed
compile as such.

ppp_interface_manager (10% done, small-medium task)
This is the interface module for our netstack.
ppp_interface_manager wraps our network API to the C++ PPP API calls
and
manages all interfaces (so that you get a ppp0/ppp1/etc. with ifconfig)
and
destroys unneeded interfaces
The C++ interface communicates with this manager.

pppctl (0% done, small task)
This driver is an interface for userland applications. It allows to
control
and query all interfaces and their add-on modules.

pppdial (0% done, small task)
This is the userland dialing application.
The user must create a file that conforms to the driver_settings
syntax.
pppdial parses this file and tells pppctl to create a new interface
object
and add it (if needed) to the ppp_interface_manager (which then adds a
new
ppp interface ifnet structure to the netstack).

pppoe (0% done, small task)
PPPoE protocol implementation.

serial_ppp (0% done, small-medium task)
Allow to connect with serial modems.

#2 GUI preflet (0% done, medium task)
The GUI preflet is add-on based and generates/parses a connection
structure
(in driver_settings syntax).
It also uses the ppp_interface_manager and PPPInterface (the ppp
implementation) query API to be notified when a connection is going up/
down
and (depending on the settings) shows a user-request dialog or an
information dialog that it is auto-dialing or nothing.

#3 PPP server implementation (0% done, small-medium task (as it is only
modification of the client implementation))
Allows to use server interfaces that wait for an incoming connection.

#4 Additional protocols/modules (0% done, very very big task ;)
If I can get the devices:
* USB modem support
* others?
Add protocols like:
* additional authentication protocols (MS CHAP, etc.)
* MP - The Multilink Protocol allows to combine the bandwidth of many
devices for your internet connection.
* compression protocols
* encryption protocols
* others?
Maybe I will just port from existing implementations...

I hope this is enough information for you.

Waldemar