[openbeosnetteam] DHCP Status

  • From: "David Enderson" <DEnderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:35:47 -0500

Team,

I worked on the DHCP client a lot more during the weekend.  I almost
have the final part of the initial conversation implemented (the
DHCPREQUEST and DHCPACK/DHCPNAK reply handling).  This project has been
a lot of fun...MUCH better than what I have to do at work!  :-)

I smiled to hear you guys say that the DHCP client is simple.  I know it
is simple as compared with implementing or porting the entire networking
stack, but I think the DHCP client has its own share of complexity.  The
RFC (RFC 2131) is 43 pages long and contains quite a few "may" and
"should" options for both client and server along with contingencies for
each.

I'm doing well at understanding them.  A lot of my work last night
involved learning a lot more of the contingencies and handling them or
dropping in comments to remind myself to handle them.  After I get
everything working I'll go through the RFC carefully another time or two
to make sure I get every detail.  I really want to do this right.

Once I get my current bug worked out, I'll post the new batch of source.
My goal is to do that by the end of the week.

--David

BTW, I'm happy to implement the final client in C or C++, whichever you
guys think is best.