[openbeosnetteam] Re: Change of heart...

  • From: "David Reid" <dreid@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 22:23:45 -0000

[snip]

> [David wrote...]
> >Considering the nearer future basically means =
>
> >that we look at creating a userland network stack that's compatible with=
> >beos 5.
>
> Agreed for sure.
> As far as I can tell I believe this is what Michael is expecting from us
> anyway, so we're not going into trouble by choosing this way :o)
> However I am not technically good enough yet to fully understand where
> the
> difference lies between user-land and kernel-land... ^_^ All attempts to
> explain that difference that I have read in the past were in vain as far =
> a I'm
> concerned :o)
> What I'd like though is to have as much source code as possible that can =
> be
> "plugged as is" within both NewOS and BeOS.

Good. However, since I wrote this I'm sure anyone who read Glass elevator
will have seen the post.

Maybe Jean can answer this, but that post, together with teh manner it's
written and so on, leads me to believe that we may as well not bother doing
anything more.  The task ahead, writing a net stack, is a big one and
distractions like a parallel project will just make the job harder still.

We all have good intentions but we also all have other things we do. Unless
we keep up the momentum on this it'll never get anywhere.  Having another
project doing basically the same things alongside will just take energy away
from the other. I for one don't want to get into a situation where I feel
I'm "racing" or in competition with another group within the same
organisation.

I'll commit the stuff I have and then probably stop bothering while the dust
settles.

david