[openbeos-midi] Re: About IsPersistent

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 17:22:43 +0100

> I search in the BeBook the IsPersistent function and that
> point me to the same function from the class BVolume I
> what I understood this function return if the media can
> be disconnected and then I think the BMidiEndpoint::IsPersistent
> return the same kind of info. That return true if the
> BMidiEndpoint are hardware published from a drivers.

That is what I thought too. I just ran a simple test but none of the
driver endpoints on my system are persistent. They all return false
from IsPersistent().

Just to be sure, I also looked up the documentation on BVolume, but
it does not really say that the media can be disconnected.
BVolume::IsPersistent() determines whether the data stays on the
volume, after a reboot, for example. A RAM-disk would not be
persistent, because the data is lost when the computer is turned
off. A floppy disk or a harddrive _are_ persistent, because they
retain their data.

Maybe that is what BMidiEndpoint::IsPersistent means: that the MIDI
data does not disappear. If that is so, an endpoint that reads from
a Standard MIDI file, for example, would be persistent. But maybe
the function simply is not used for anything at all, right now. I
don't know.

Matthijs