[oma-loty] Haskell and Prolog

  • From: Dave Burchell <burchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oma-loty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:19:58 -0600 (CST)

Mike Hostetler says:

> I didn't even know about the demos! thanks Jordan.
>
> Dave is probably interested in the stuff in the demos/prolog directory.
> :)
>
> Mike

Whoa!  Cool!  There is a Prolog interpreter implemented in Haskell!

I'm starting to learn that Prolog and Haskell are quite similar, so it
should be fairly easy to do Prolog-like things in Haskell.  It is not
Prolog so much that I am interested in, as the Prolog way of approaching
the problem.  In Prolog you assert some facts about the world, building a
logical model of reality.  Then you simply ask the Prolog system for
information.  I suspect that in Haskell you can do the same thing, but
instead of asserting facts you declare functions, and instead of asking
questions you invoke functions which will give you the answer.

I'm quite interested to learn more about Haskell's typing.  For
example, say I want to solve the eight queens problem, the solution to
which is a chessboard layout (and there is more than one solution).
Can I ask a Haskell function to return a list of chessboard layouts?
True, I could code this as an integer, but will Haskell let me have a
result that is a list of lists of lists directly?

--
Dave Burchell                                          40.49'N, 96.41'W
Free your mind and your software will follow.              402-467-1619