[ola] it really works

  • From: "Cathy Bird" <cathy.bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:23:44 -0700 (MST)

So, today was Denver's first overnight snow and traffic was terrible.
30-45 minute delays in getting everyone here.What to do with only part of
a class??? I popped in a little Madeline (in French, of course) and my
first class enjoyed the break. I paused and asked questions along the
way.all in L2, but it wasn't a killer class by any means.

Next class comes in to desks and begins to complain.in French! So we
opened our journals, titled the two page spread with "familiar words
heard" on the right side and two questions on the left (that I had planned
to get to later).

Took a while to explain "known" and "heard" but one of my students jumped
in and explained it well. Movie starts and I hear and see kids jumping to
get words on the paper and shouting them out. At one point I stop the
film, explain a concept and suddenly there are a million questions.in
French!

"Why are they girls sad/ why is she crying/ where is she?" and right in
the middle of explaining 'orphelin' my boss walks in for a quick
observation and sees kids asking questions and jumping in to explain to
each other. One of my quietest kids raised her hand and said "Madame is a
teacher" and all the kids said ahhhh (light bulb moment) since they
finally understood that the main adult was the director of the boarding
school, etc. Beautiful and all in lovely, yet butchered-caveman-style
French.

I love my job today!

Cathy Bird
Middle School French