[ola] Re: idea for class.

  • From: Arnold <arnoldb@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 07:25:52 -0400

Getting students to elaborate is one of our biggest challenges. They need to
have a large supply of common words that connect sentences and then be asked to
use one or two to elaborate. "I like pizza" is fine but adding "because it is
delicious and sometimes my mom makes pizza at home" is possible with just two
connectors and a little vocab and is a much richer elaboration. We used to have
big pieces of paper on the wall, each with a connector word. Students were
quick to use them and before too long they didn't need to look for a word.

It's a slow process and they go through plateaus, periods of time where growth
is slowed, but it's normal. Encouragement and support is all they need as they
inch along.

Your collaborative efforts are a wonderful model for building community.

Arnold