[ola] a can-do assessment activity

  • From: "Cathy Bird" <cathy.bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 09:36:42 -0600 (MDT)

I wanted to share something that I did in my 7th grade French class last
week. I am not sure how this aligns with OWL, or I haven't given it enough
thought to articulate it clearly, but it feels like a chance for kids to
show what they can do AND a bit of a traditional vocab quiz all rolled
into one.

1.       I copied my typed up vocabulary list (printed it small to save
paper so I had four sheets on two paper sides, in case that helps) and
gave one to each student.

2.       I asked them to find four opposite pairings (#1-4)

3.       I asked for four similar pairings (#5-8)

4.       And I asked them to create a short story of their own creation.
Within that story they needed to use and underline four more, previously
unused vocab words (#9-12). The story needs to have a flow to it. of
course. but in the story they need to use their new words in a way that
shows they KNOW the word.

Over all, it was very successful. In my first class, I described it as an
activity and the kids worked solo with gusto. Only problem was that they
sometimes asked for help from me or peers (normal behavior for OWL) and
when it was given I clarified that the "help" word couldn't be used as
NUMBERED word. Even with those caveats I found the kids wanted to share
their stories with peers as soon as they finished.

In my second set, I clarified in the beginning and it felt more like a
quiz. Stress was higher, faces showed less fun. Still, the proof was in
the pudding. They wrote silly little vignettes that show what they CAN do.
Love it (can you hear Wheezy from Dragon Tales in that quote?)

Cathy Bird
Middle School French
Colorado Academy
303-986-1501, x.2622