[ola] Traditional struggles

  • From: Arnold Bleicher <arnoldb@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OLA Listserve <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:39:49 -0800

Hi JoAnna -

I find it an interesting conversation that a FL teacher would praise her
students (and your ability to send her students with increased levels of
communicative skills) for being more proficient in interpretive and
interpersonal skills, but then complain about them not ³knowing² test
stuff. Maybe the question is: what would she rather have? Kids who can
interact in interpersonal modalities or kids who can conjugate verbs on a
piece of paper? Grab some math teacher who speaks English as their mother
tongue and ask them to explain what an indirect object pronoun is and,
when s/he can¹t do it, tell them they are not proficient in English. I
would like to point out, for anyone old enough to have taught a
teenage-child to drive, that it is one thing to ³know the manual² and
another thing to drive a car.

Let me use my own teaching experience as a model. I began teaching Spanish
in 1979. I was clueless, and my approach was that of a grammar-based
technician. I had kids who could conjugate verbs until the cows came home
and identify all sorts of pronouns, subjects, and objects. Drill and kill
and by golly, they were doing very well on my tests. Then I took them to
Mexico for a week and I was stunned to see their inability to actually
communicate. I had to completely rethink my assumptions. That was the
beginning of a long journey in understanding best practices. So, I¹ve been
on both sides of the issue and I saw a huge difference in what students
could do as I changed my strategies.

I did a study years go and compared HS students who had been in a
communicative-based class and were all Intermediate-low and mid speakers,
against their scores on the BYU placement test (at that time it was even
more grammar-based than it is now)- those HS kids did poorly on the BYU
test. Let me reiterate: they were all Intermediate-level speakers. Then we
compared them against kids from a grammar-based approach - those kids had
much better BYU test scores but almost none of them were INT on an OPI.
So, which student profile would I be more proud of producing? Yes, a
rhetorical question.

Now, as far as a student saying ³lavo mi pelo² I have to ask, as one used
to dealing with language learners, did you understand the message? If so,
what is the big deal? Will we want that student to eventually get the
correct structure? Of course. Do I mark her down on a grammar test? OK.
But do I mark her down for being able to communicate a message? No!

As far as English moments, the only thing I will say is that ACTFL
recommends 90+% use of the target language. If, now and then, a moment is
spent in English to clear up a question a student has, would that be so
awful? But that is my opinion, and everyone has one.

Keep up the good work.

Arnold