[ola] Re: Sub plans - help!

  • From: JoAnna Coleman <joannac@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 18:14:37 +0000

Casi Casi is a great comedy to show, if you're looking for something
age-appropriate and sub-appropriate as well. It's Puerto Rican and about a
group of high schoolers who rig a student body election at school.

Reading assignments can be tricky for lower levels with a sub.

In addition to leaving a sub plan, I leave a kid plan too that each student
must check off and staple to their work before turning it in to the sub.

With a reading, I will have them do a lot of different steps and mark off each
as they go
First, pre-reading questions and/or drawings;
In text, high light cognates, circle new words, underline all words related
to...food, etc..., write a question mark where there is confusion, a smiley
face for parts they like, write the number of the question where you find the
answer, etc...
and post-reading comprehension questions, T/F, personal questions using
vocabulary from story and/or drawings.

Drawings work best for subs since there is less room for misinterpretation than
with a list of comprehension questions and it gives students a way to show how
much they actually understand about the story. And most kids like to draw! :) I
usually leave out the colored pencils or markers, as well.

Some ideas are: make a story board or comic strip of the story
pre: what is a typical/stereotypical vampire look like? post: how is the
vampire in the story different?
draw a picture of the main character, setting, etc...

JoAnna Coleman
Spanish Teacher
Wilson High School
503-916-5280 ext. 75231