[ola] Re: Sub Plans

  • From: Troy Longstroth <troy_longstroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 08:30:27 -0800

JoAnna,

I've shown regular familiar movies in Spanish like "Finding Nemo," "Legally
Blonde," "Elf," (good for this season) etc.  The more familiar, the better,
because they won't get lost even though everything is in L2.  You can
develop comprehension questions, have kids write their own questions, or
(less prep) just go with something as simple as having kids write down
vocabulary they hear repeatedly.  You can then have them explore the
vocabulary by drawing it, writing circumlocutions of it, writing their own
stories using it, etc.

Another possibility would just be having kids write stories using recent
vocabulary.  You can leave it open ended, or create a topic for them to go
with.  Around Day of the Dead I had kids write stories about their skeleton
cutout dolls we'd made.  They were pretty fun.  Some kids' stories included
skeletons having trouble with dogs always trying to chew their bones, etc.

I hope you feel better soon and have a full recovery over break.

Troy

Troy Longstroth
Spanish and Outdoor Recreation Teacher
*Redmond Proficiency Academy*