[ola] Some Mayan stuff

  • From: Zach Haney <zachhaneyjobs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 21:35:26 -0400

Dear all,
I hope those that are starting soon are excited and those that have already
begun are having a ball. Like everyone is saying, this group of people is
fantastic and so supportive. The ideas that come across on the list are just
amazing.
Because I can't help but to include Mayan math this year in my class (it's so
easy!), I also ran across some other resources that I thought you all might
enjoy if you want another game or activity in your class that gets them
speaking in Spanish (sorry for other languages!).
There is a lotería here:
http://maya.nmai.si.edu/sites/default/files/resources/lesson-plans/Loteria%20Viviendo%20el%20tiempo%20maya.pdf
 to introduce the students to mayan symbols. This could be great to lead into
describing the symbols, asking them opinions about what they represent,
comparing/contrasting any symbols we may use, etc.
Here: http://maya.nmai.si.edu/es/para-maestros there is a huge number of
resources (in Spanish!) for including any thing you might want to as an
activity. Definitely not encouraging a "unit" or some such thing on the Mayans
but certainly some fun for a day that could be slid in very naturally.
Have a great long weekend!
Zach H.
Math/SpanishMeridian AcademyBrookline, MA